Monday, March 17, 2014

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Towards the end of the movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Shu Lien says to Jen, "Promise me one thing: whatever path you take in life, be true to yourself." When Shu Lien says this I believe that she is saying telling Jen to not make the same mistakes that she did in life. After losing Li Mu Bai, Shu Lien realized all that she had missed out on. When she tells Jen to be true to herself I think that it surprised Jen. We were all expecting a big fight because ultimately Jen is the reason Li Mu Bai died. But, instead Shu Lien is humbled by his death and gives Jen a piece of advice that changes the whole story. Jen did exactly what Shu Lien asked her to do. She followed her destiny by following her own path. She did not stay with the man she loved but she simply disappears into her own bliss. She was true to herself. I believe that she realized that she really did not fit in anywhere so she left to a place unknown. All in all I believe that Jen did exactly as Lien told her to do. And I also believe that Shu Lien was extremely kind and merciful towards Jen by giving her this advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment