Sunday, January 5, 2014

Percy Jackson

          During the past summer I came into possession of the first two Percy Jackson novels by Rick Riordan. The reason that I began reading these books is because of the movie made on the first book of the series that I had recently seen and enjoyed. When I read the first book I came to realize that the movie was not only completely different than the book, it also did not give the proper justice to how amazing the book is. The first book in the series (The Lightning Theif) is more action filled and interesting than the movie showed. I also recently saw the second movie, which I had already read the book beforehand, and thought that it followed the story line a little better, but it left out some key parts such as a different ending. I am currently reading the rest of the series and I await the rest of the movies as well. This has just taught me the value of reading before you go to the movies.
          Also, it has occurred to me that this series is frequently known as a children's book. I disagree with this statement because I am a senior and high school and I would recommend this book to anyone to read. The thrilling and action packed scenes keep you feeling alive throughout the entire story. Also, there's a love story in the midst of this action between Percy and his companion Annabeth that keeps the reader wanting to know what happens between them. But, my all time favorite part about this series is the endings at the end of each book. At the end of each book Riordan throws a twist in that you were not expecting and that changes the entire storyline and your expectations of what is supposed to happen. My favorite ending was at the end of the second novel (Sea of Monsters) when Thalia, daughter of Zeus, returns from the dead. This made such an impact because it changed the whole prophecy and how Percy was viewed. It through a twist in a story where you could pretty much predict an outcome. The books also provide me with an interest in Greek mythology which I probably never would have thought to be interesting. It teaches you different gods and different mythological monsters and stories about them. It basically teaches the reader without them knowing. I would recommend this series to anyone because I have fully enjoyed the entertainment and the time that I have spent reading them.

No comments:

Post a Comment